How Pillar Pages affects Search Engines Rankings
Search engines are constantly changing. One can never understand search engines completely because they keep changing and consider something new. There are more than 200 Google ranking factors and each has their own weight. Understanding Google’s and other search engines algorithm is not rocket science but it is subject to change frequently. This time again there is a change in the algorithm.
Pillar pages is a new change in googles algorithm and many are unaware of it. Pillar pages are now considered very important for ranking in search engines. However, do you know what Pillar pages are? How important are they and how do they help in search engine rankings?
Today we will go through pillar pages and terms related to it and their role in search engine rankings.
What is Pillar Pages?
Pillar pages is a topic that is not too narrow nor too broad. It almost covers all features of a particular topic. Pillar page acts as a centerpiece for a large chunk of your site’s content. In simple words, a solid content that can be broken down into many clusters.
Various topics that are related to one particular topic are called cluster topics. For e.g. my pillar page topic would be Facebook Marketing and cluster topics related to it would be How to start with Facebook ads, a guide to Facebook image size sheet, how to engage with your audience on Facebook, how to make complete use of the Facebook business page, etc. A topic like digital marketing will be very broad and a topic like a keyword research will be very narrow. We hope this example has given a broad idea to you about what pillar pages and cluster topics are.
A pillar page content should be longer than cluster topics, but they should not explain too much about the topic. Pillar page content should allow cluster topics to explain in depth about the topic. Therefore, they should be long, not broad, and not narrow but give a brief about it.
Now let us see how to use Pillar Pages effectively.
- This process can be time-consuming but it will show great results. The main part is to select a topic that can have many other topics below it. A topic like ‘Social Media’ can be a very broad topic but a topic like Instagram marketing can be perfect and one can create cluster topics like Instagram tools, how to gain followers, etc. You can also identify which topic on your blogs connects with the pillar content and can link to it.
- Remember to link the cluster topics to pillar page and also link pillar page to cluster topics which will build internal linking.
- Content marketing plays a role in this and one should add keywords in the content to build more relevancy to the particular topic. Adding LSI keywords also affect search rankings, therefore include them too and remember not to add too many which may hurt rankings. When you search for a particular topic on google, it shows searches related to the topic that has long tail keywords and LSI keywords; this will help you for adding relevant keywords.
- Fresh and great content is recommended. Copied content gives negative remarks to your site and decreases rankings instead. Freshness and original content will influence search engines.
You know what Pillar Pages are and how to create one, now let us go through the effects on Search Engines.
How does pillar pages affect search rankings?
- Internal links
Internal links are links that connect one page to another page on the same domain. This is what pillar pages do. They contain links to another blog related to the same topic that builds internal linking. Internal linking is considered as best practice for SEO since it makes a site look decent and uncluttered. The site’s architecture shows relevancy to search engines and makes it easier for them to crawl and index pages.
- People spending more time on your website
When you have links on your pillar page that guide people to other pages, they spend more time on your website. This gives an indication to search engines that your site is relevant and related to people’s search. It reduces bounce rate that is a great thing for your site.
Since all the links are related to the topic itself, it gives exactly what the searchers are looking for. This alarms the search engines that the content is relevant and people are getting what they searched for since they are spending so much time.
- Doesn’t confuse algorithms
If your site is too cluttered and has links that do not relate to the topic, it can confuse algorithms and hurt search engine rankings. Pillar pages make it clear and uncluttered that give a clear indication to algorithms about the topic.
- Long and fresh content with relevant keywords
Google favors content that is long. It also loves the freshness of content. When your pillar pages have fresh and long content, it directly has an effect on search rankings. We all know important keywords are in search engine optimization and keyword research is important for this. Read our guide on keyword research for SEO that will help you through this. Remember overdose of keywords can be harmful to search engines.
These are important points to keep in mind for pillar pages. Since now, you have an idea on what pillar pages are, how to use them and how it affects search results, it is your time to create pillar pages content and rank higher on search engines.
March 14, 2018